|

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Emma

1972 Emma, BBC. Not all that great. Acting ang carachter profiles are not ideal, cinematography (camera work) could be better, script is tedious. But the story is as interesting as ever.
Compare to the newer one with Gwynith Paltroe; better quality, and more enjoyable (shorter).
I never thought it was all that exiting, but the girls may find it interesting.
My main problem with it is probably that the main carachter is not a likable one...but maybe I'm just too narrow-minded.
The thing I do like is the amount of humour involved. Most of the carachters in the story are quite great. If only BBC had portrayed them better.
If you see Emma, watch the new one. If you are intent on seeing both, watch the old one first.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gregaria said...

I didn't like Emma as a book. I thought it was slow and tedious and that the only really good part was at the end when she, the relentless match-maker who steers clear of any romantic entanglements involving herself, finally meets her own match... ha, ha.

I think I saw parts of the newer version of the movie and was intrigued, so I might watch that some time and even enjoy it! I agree with Perkins, though; shorter is better.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Just re-watched the newer Emma. Not as bad as I had recalled.
Definitely a girl's movie, though, but I admit it had me laughing.
The carachters are all so silly! For example, Emma's best friend basically decides: "He's married someone else, so I shall burn his band-aid that I have treasured, and never marry."
And Emma's father: "We must stay indoors; the trees are moving slightly, and we will all catch cold!"

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<